UAB Presidential Search
The University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB), a nationally recognized comprehensive public research university and home to one of the country’s leading teaching hospitals and academic medical centers, announces the search for its President.
One of three institutions comprising The University of Alabama System, UAB is Alabama’s largest single-site employer and a powerful engine for economic growth, with an annual economic impact exceeding $5 billion. The campus achieved its fourth successive year of record enrollment in Fall 2012, with 17,999 students.
UAB highlights include:
• The campus ranks 20th in funding from the National Institutes of Health, with over $500 million in active contracts and grants.
• The centerpiece of the UAB Health System is a premier academic medical center with 1,157 beds and more than one million patient visits annually.
• Alabama’s only Level 1 adult trauma center; the only NCI-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center in a six-state region.
• The only Alabama hospital ranked in U.S. News “Best Hospitals” since the issue’s inception.
Among other points of pride for which UAB is well-known:
• 14 programs in the top 25 of U.S. News & World Report “Best Graduate Schools,” including the healthcare management program that is 5th in the nation.
• 1st nationally among public universities in The Scientist magazine’s 2012 “Best Places to Work as a Postdoc.”
• Recognized for four consecutive years in Princeton Review top 10 for diversity.
• Faculty serve in top leadership posts, such as president of the American Heart Association and immediate past president of the American Cancer Society.
• Among only 11 universities in 2012 to receive the coveted Beckman Scholars Program Award for exceptional mentoring and training of undergraduate researchers.
• Home to The Alys Stephens Center, Alabama’s best known performing arts venue, hosting a year-round calendar of celebrity performers, student productions and the Alabama Symphony Orchestra.
The Presidential Search Advisory Committee will begin reviewing candidate materials in November and will continue until the position is filled. Applications, nominations, and inquiries may be submitted, in confidence, to:
Barry Vines, Managing Director
Wheless Partners Executive Search
Electronic submissions (MS Word format) are encouraged.
The University of Alabama System is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer